View Single Post
Old 05-29-2021, 02:46 PM   #111
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Just not true.

Luckily it's easy to pull on actual data and see the Flames are getting NHL players with limited draft capital.
Are they? Are the Flames getting NHL players are are they contributing to the Calgary Flames become a better hockey team and generate more wins than losses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
As I researched ... 2nd in games played / draft capital in the 2015-2020 drafts.
Sounds like a new fancy stat? How about actual results? Edmonton was pretty good at making sure their draft picks got a number of games in, which inflated silly stats like this. Unfortunately, all those players were pretty crap and didn't contribute to a winner. I see the same pattern developing in Calgary. I don't see the team getting any better because of players drafted from within.

Also, I think credit should only be given to players that actually suited up for the Flames, and not other teams. Part of the draft and development process is finding players who will play for YOU, and not someone else. So giving the team credit for a player you didn't have confidence in, and dumped one way or another, isn't right IMO.

For example, the 2011 draft looks like a homerun for the Flames! Five players selected and they all played in the NHL! Success!!! Except that those players played a combined 1,259 games in the NHL, but only 720 of those games were in Flames uniforms. If you remove Gaudreau's 520 games, that means of the other player's 739 games, only 182 were for the Flames, or less than 25%.

Quote:
Attacking his draft record is just showing the world that you have made up your mind on something (someone) and won't even entertain actual data or facts that don't support your entrenched view.
I don't see anyone attacking the guy's draft record, just putting it into perspective. The whole idea of drafting and player development is to make the team better. Has THAT happened under Treliving? No, it has not. The team is worse, the minor league system is bereft of talent, and the future is one of the least attractive in the league. The drafting and player development system is failing the team and not getting the job done. I would say the Flames are mediocre at drafting at best. That could change if Treliving would give his scouts the picks to leverage, but he doesn't. We've got huge gaps in the system and that will hurt the team as they try to retool and remain relevant.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote