View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #357
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Felon on paper looks like an awesome plane, not on the same level as something like the Raptor. But there have been problems if I remember with the production of the spec'd 2nd generation engines, so instead they used more standard engines in it. There are only two planes in the world right now that have a full 360 degree all azimuth sensing capability and low observable aspect. One if the Felon the other is the F-35.

The other issue that I've read about is that Russian manufacturing is still having trouble with some of the more exotic parts of manufacturing a true 5th generation fighter, as well as the stealth required aspects of it, so its supposedly not as super stealthy as a 5th generation fighter is. Its more low observable from certain angles.

The export market for it that it needs is drying up, I think India was going to buy some in a joint development aspect, but I think India is going their own way. I think they signed a deal with Algeria for a dozen felons. But with the true engines being a ways off that might fall through.

There are some really cool ideas being put into play with this fighter.

The Directional countermeasures suite that can use lasers to blind incoming missiles is a cool concept, like really cool if it works as intended. The 3d vectoring lets the plane do some pretty crazy maneuvering while keeping the nose of the plane hot. It can also carry a very heavy weapons load in its unique bay configuration. Its infrared silent kill capability could be effective against true 5th generation stealth fighters, but I don't know if that alone will allow it to overcome the long standoff capability of a true 5th generation plane.

While the Russians claim its a competitor to the F-22, its not. Its not likely to be able to sneak up on 4.5 and 5th generations, and there are questions around how effective it is in penetrating modern air defense networks. But I don't think it was designed with that in mind. Oh and it has a no pilot drone capability, where the pilot is basically luggage.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 01-10-2021 at 05:53 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote