View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #2530
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was watching Halloween Havoc 1988 last night with a main event between Flair and Sting vs Funk and Muta in a cage.

It was a great match with great timing, and it really accentuated the problem that I have with modern booking.

In that match there were 1 or two real high spots dangerous spots and they came out of nowhere. Flair looking Funk in the figure four and Sting coming off the top rope to splash Funk at the same time (Flair did a great job of protecting Funk). And a Muta nasty tumble off of the top rope.

So what drives me crazy about today's wrestling?

First of all, finishers and devestating moves have absolutely no meaning. Wrestlers are easily kicking out of these moves over and over again. Every Match has these dangerous stupid spots, its no wonder we see a ton of injuries now, and they render those spots pointless. To me slamming people on ladders of a high spot to the floor spot should really be saved for main events or feud blowoffs or specialty matches. It just seems that every wrestler needs to hear the holy shyte chant and every fan wants to see death defying stunts in every match.

The long set up of stuff. I really wanted to like Bayley and Sasha, and for the most part I did. But having Bayley setting up a table and chair contraption of death for 2 minutes was stupid. The tug o war over the table to set up a ramp for a high spot looked dumb. Not only that wrestlers sitting outside congregating and staring at the wrestler who takes a bunch of time setting up a dive looks stupid.

The matches are 10,000 miles an hour, have started to look really phony, have no real proper selling, and simple things like brilliant psychology like working on an injury have gone out the window.

The other thing, is the loss of understanding of elevating a talent. Instead main event guys are made to look like dofuses, and it does very little to elevate the lower card guy.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote