View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #20
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
$10/year seems crazy.
At first I didn't get how Draisaitl could be the floor, but I guess when he signed his contract, he hadn't put up his 105 season, so his ppg was slightly lower than Tkachuk's.

If he's asking for 5 years, he shouldn't be getting more than $8.5; add .25 for every year beyond 5 years, with a max of 9.25/year for 8 years.
The argument though is that Tkachuk isn't just producing first line offense, he's doing it with plumbers on the second line AND he is doing it largely in a defensive role.

The article is bang on, there just aren't many players in the league who are able to do that, let alone guys doing it on their ELC.

That's why 8.5 is probably the starting point.

It really screws the Flames because they need to keep his AAV as low as possible to round out the roster, which means lowering the term.

I really think the flames are looking at an 8.5x4 deal here with Tkachuk going UFA at the end of the deal no matter what.

If the Flames want a term longer than 4 they are probably paying 10 per season to do it. Which they can't really afford in the short term without gutting the roster.