View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #249
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Guess it's been a while since I last updated...

Overall, conditions are amazing for spring

Here is what our family of 5 has done recently:
Prairie View/Barrier lake lookout: 12km 5.5hrs - Fantastic one that I recommend if you've not done it. Head out early as it is busy/crowded. Be prepared for 600m in elevation gain, but on a relatively gradual trail (until the fire-lookout intersection at least).

Black Prince Cirque: Bridge is washed out and decided not to ford, so instead did Grassi Lakes.

Grassi Lakes (90min): Another busy/crowded trail, but short and pleasant. Great place for first-timer.

Interlakes/Mt Everest: (3km; <90min) A pleasant hike with reasonable views at the top. Not a 'destination' type hike, but worthwhile if you are camping in the area. My 4-yr-old was able to hike this trail without being carried.

Marl Lake: (2km; <60min) Not a 'destination' hike, but since we were camping at Elkwood took the trail on the same afternoon as Interlakes above.

Prairie Mountain: (6.5km; 4.5 hours) One of my favourites and nice and close to calgary. Took the family up this yesterday and they really enjoyed it - even played a game of tag at the summit. My youngest was carried 2/3rds of the way up, but the 7 and 11yr olds were able to complete it unassisted. 685m of elevation gain (i.e. this is steep, avg grade >20%), so not the best choice for rookies although there is no scrambling or exposure.

We are off to Dinosaur Provincial Park this weekend.

~P^2

Last edited by firebug; 06-01-2015 at 03:52 PM.
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post: