View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #283
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I don't really know anything about the claims made re:climate change by UCP, but for argument's sake, lets assume they are dumb and as bad as you think.

I'm not trying to convince you re:UCP, but as a voter, you're really going to discount an entire party and the other 1000 policies they have over one fact you disagree with? No party will align perfectly with one person, but seems a bit short sighted to use one belief (that literally likely has the least tangible impact on provincial policy of any) and make your decision on that?
When the one or two believes make up the core of who I believe I am, absolutely those two will outweigh the rest of the 998.

I believe I am a good-hearted, rational person. To me, it is extremely important that I vote for a candidate that follows along those lines. If there's a candidate who I perceive to be as a bigot, whether sexist, xenophobic, racist, homophobic, transphobic or any other reasoning that I believe he or she is not a good person, I will be extremely hesitant to vote for them. Similarly, and (unfortunately) maybe more important is a candidate who is rational and reasonable.

I also wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment that being a climate change denier has the least tangible impact. It is a clear sign that a person is neither rational enough to listen to experts nor has the ability to be reasoned with. A person who let's bias get in their way of critical thinking is the last person I want as a candidate, even if they were "on my side." I don't know if there would be a bigger red flag to me than a legitimate candidate who was a climate change denier at this point.

And the fact that this wasn't just some last minute, fill the ballet, position but instead was a heated nomination. The candidate was the former campaign manager for Jason Kenney and Kenney was excited that he won. This wasn't a Deborah Drever situation, which of course was NDP's own challenge and problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Nobody knows the degree to which humans are contributing, just that we are.
That's such a cop out. The guy goes for a decade calling climate change a hoax and then when asked (as it becomes an issue) says he isn't sure how much human involvement has. Let's call a spade a spade, there's no need to defend him.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote