View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #1838
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Um, she said it herself. She may have laughed at the Rebel but at her 2018 TED Talk, she said this:

"I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, OCD and selective mutism. That basically means I only speak when I think it's necessary"

So, no one is suggesting she has a mental illness. She has at least one. Using that as an means to harass her is disgusting though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Yeah, the OCD and selective mutism are mental illnesses though.
Just to correct a minor thing, OCD and selective mutism could be both symptoms and extensions of her Asperger's Syndrome. Unless she also has an anxiety disorder - which is possible - the appearance of her being OCD and selective mute may be just how her Asperger's manifests itself. Depends where she lands on the autism spectrum. People with autism can display behaviors that are very reminiscent of both of the illnesses you identified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
That's $38,000 U.S. dollars what am I missing.
I think there is some bad math in the article. I didn't post the article as if to say this was the silver bullet that some here are looking for. Just the opposite actually. This is an interesting technology that could have some really interesting applications and worth watching for future development.

There is a big problem with expectations of people about the tech we are seeing come to fore right now. We are talking about some new tech that has been in development for a very short period of time. Many technologies are iterative in nature and require time to mature. We are essentially at Kittyhawk right now, but there are a number of people who are expecting the Wright Brothers to wheel out a fully functional F-22 Raptor. That isn't how things work. These technologies will be put into play, then improved with future iterations that will some day in the future be the solution to our problem. Right now, they are a piece of the solution. In 20 years one of them could be the whole solution. We don't have time to wait for one to come to maturity, so we need to rely on a number of solutions and then hope we see an apex product bubble to the surface.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote