View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #90
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

True story...I spent three summers outriding and several years before that as a groom, hotwalker and exercise rider on the track. And more recently I've spent more time and money as an animal lover. nothing upsets me more than animal cruelty. But like a lot of people here seem to understand, the chucks aren't cruel. There were 2400 trips around that track in 10 days plus training, warm ups and team work. One horse had a heart attack. One stupid and avoidable crash. And one single broken leg. That is amazing. The vets are amazing, the care is amazing, the track is amazing. It's all out of this world great. There's no way I'd be willing to give up 500 horses for a misunderstanding of reality.

The question is should thoroughbreds be used as racehorses. Should breeders be mandated to get broader bone structure in their lines. It's ridiculous seeing these 2 year olds running around on bird bones. Luckily our industry is not that lucrative and we don't see the freaks they run at Santa Anita.

As a rider I know the reaction I get walking into the barn in the morning. Every single horse wants to go when I show up. When the vet shows up they all turn their backs to the door ready to kick the crap out of someone. They love being racehorses and the ones that don't, never make it to the track. They're all a bit crabby as the season progresses. September is time to go home. They train for 3 months, race for three months and spend six months being horses. Don't take that away.

I think it would be cool to make it less of a race and more of a true chuckwagon haul. Use grade horses with think bones. Make it more maneuvering and less flat out running. Add some more people to the element...break up a real camp. Or don't change anything. Keep vets working to make healthy horses. It's not broken here.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post: