View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #43
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm totally opposed to auto-gratuity on a couple levels.

1. I don't like the all-or-nothing method, but if I didn't like my service, I would be likely to take the manager up on that "why I am paying nothing" spiel, and then proceed to not go back. Going out for dinner is supposed to be fun, if I have lousy service, and then have to explain why I'm refusing to auto-grat (which in itself is rather presumptuous), and risk doing it all over again, its not fun anymore. At least normally, if the service sucks, one can shrug it off, take it out on the tip, walk away and enjoy the rest of the evening.

2. I don't tip on beer/wine. The markup on beer and especially wine is so exploitative ($20 wine bottle going for $80, $1.50 beer going for $5.25, etc.), I don't feel I need to reward them any further just for pouring a beer or uncorking some wine. I don't tip the guy at Wendy's for pouring my soda, why would I do it for beer. As far as I'm concerned, the cost of service is included in the exorbitant cost of alcohol. I don't believe I should be coerced into tipping another $14 (18%) on an $80 bottle of wine readily available at Superstore for $19.99+tax just for someone to open it. After all, service is supposed to be included in the price. Tipping is supposed to be a discretionary reward for exemplary service.

Food requires a lot of work from more than a couple people, so if its all good, its typically in the 20% range, I guess it sort of balances out since I typically don't drink much at restaurants.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post: