View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #556
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't reviewed a movie in a while so here are a few I've caught up on recently:

All the Money in the World: Once again Ridley Scott shows us what a great story teller he can be. Here he is able to fit a biography, a kidnapping, and a family drama into a coherent and entertaining film that is more than the sum of its parts. Also major props to Christopher Plummer. What a performance even without considering the circumstances. 9/10

Baywatch: Okay I admit I didn't actually want to watch this. I was staying at a friends house and he just happened to put it on and I just happened to be sitting there during the entire movie. From what I saw, this was a mess. The action and special effects was sub par and the comedy was non existent. Other than nostalgia for the original and getting to see The Rock know he is in something horrible and just going with it, there is nothing redeeming. 2/10

Isle of Dogs: Wes Anderson is usually all or nothing for me but this one was somewhere in the middle. The visuals, voice acting, and music were amazing and I was invested in the story premise. Unfortunately the story and characters felt dull and uninspiring despite the typical moments of quirkiness. 7/10

The Meg: This giant shark movie can't decide if it wants to be a big action blockbuster or a cheesy horror movie. It fails miserably with the action but is actually kind of okay as a horror. Despite the completely stupid story there are moments of entertainment here. 5/10

Skyscraper: I love The Rock but he needs to start being a little pickier with the roles. Even he can't save this one. Just a bland, dull, boring, dumb, cliche riddled attempt at an action movie. Give this a pass. 2/10

Tag: A typical mainstream modern comedy with a weird premise. The ridiculousness and a good use of physical comedy gives this legs but the story is predictable with little depth and overall there are few really funny or memorable moments. I did enjoy the cast and Jeremy Renner's performance was certainly interesting. 6/10