View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #24
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Again you seem to think it fizzled out like you wanted him to go down in some blaze of glory in a LOTR type big battle. The thing is that in real life the bad guys usually do fizzle out. There's nothing Hollywood about relatively quiet demises of Hitler or bin Laden. Also I wouldn't call it a side story seeing his story consumed a large portion of this season. I feel some of you simply get too emotionally attached to characters and of all shows this is not the show to do that.
Read this: No one is asking for a Hollywood ending. I really don't know how many times people need to post this before you understand it, but we gotta be on like 5-6 times at this point.

This isn't real life, it's entertainment so the laughable comparisons to Hitler and Bin Laden are so irrelevant. It's a TV Show that has 10 hours a year to explain a dozen different storylines. When you have that many storylines and that little time, you don't waste time on dead ends if you're a good storyteller. Part of the problem is that they consumed a large portion of the season on this story and it ended up being pointless. That's not good TV. It's not about emotional attachment (I don't think anyone was rooting for Stannis after he burned his daughter to death) it's about a grand arch of a story that has limited time to be told and they just spent like 30% of the season on something that could have been wrapped up years ago.

Basically Stannis storyline was like this.

- I'm the true king
- I ghost assassinated my brother
- I lost bad at Blackwater
- I regrouped and got a loan
- OH #### ... WHITE WALKERS ARE THE TRUE THREAT, MUST HEAD NORTH (oh yay, the real storyline)
- Naw .... nm, I'll just start my war to reclaim the throne again, burn my daughter, head south and get wiped out

... what? What is the point of everything after Blackwater if it just ends up at the same result.

Do you understand the difference between that complaint and wanting some Disney prince to ride out of the sky on a rainbow blowing us all kisses and how they're not the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Expecting story lines to wrap up in some chronological or formulaic order is simply not what this show does. The show is about the "Game of Thrones" and that game only as investing in characters or storylines is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I feel some of you have got a little too comfortable with the series and forgot what it's all about and what made it refreshing in the first place. From season 1 on we learned that anyone can die at any time with abrupt endings to storylines. That has not changed nor should it.
Not only has it not changed, it hasn't evolved at all. Sorry, a show where a bunch of people just fall off and never advance the arc is a bad show. If you're blown away by the same things you were in season one, then good for you. I'm hoping this show has a grander plan than just reinforcing that the good guy doesn't always win.

Last edited by nik-; 06-15-2015 at 10:10 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: