View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #33
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Assuming no major blockbuster trades, but just based on the players and prospects we have now?

Gaudreau is obviously the guy now. I personally have my doubts as to whether he will be the type of player you bank on carrying or leading the team to a Cup. Monahan is a nice player and I think he will be consistent for a long time, but he lacks and edge and his two-way game is just adequate. Pelletier is very intriguing to me, as is Pospisil, not neither have proven anything at the NHL level.

My money is on Tkachuk, which is why not having him signed long term makes me anxious. I think within 2 seasons, he will be the name synomomous with the Flames.

It sounds like he wants the quickest route to free agency, which if he signs such a contract, it probably means that nothing short of a Cup or 2 in the next 5 years would motivate him to sign an extension into his UFA years. That is quite a gamble. I really think the owners should try a heavily front loaded contract, say 8 years and $64 million dollars with as much of that being paid in the first couple of seasons, at least as much as the CBA allows. That money up front would be really enticing considering the growth potential through investments.

Of course, that would be quite a favour to ask from the owners, so I am not sure if they would agree.
Good post, except I think 8 years 64 million is a lowball contract for 8 years. If he's as important as you think, you need to sweeten the pot.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post: