View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #1539
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
The problem is that there is a multiplier for the type of competition and the Nations League game against the US was classed as a "World Cup Qualifier" which is worth 2.5 times as much as a friendly. That's why things like the Gold Cup are so valuable and why it sucked so much to draw Martinique who aren't part of FIFA and thus aren't counted for any points. The Gold Cup is actually worth 3.5 times what a friendly is.
It is strange to me that CONCACAF allows non-FIFA members to participate in the confederation's championship. I can't think of another confederation that does this. I know there are tournaments within other confederations that have had non-FIFA members participate. For example, there's a tournament in Africa called CECAFA which involves east African countries as well as Zanzibar, which competes independently of the country it's actually part of; Tanzania. But Zanzibar doesn't compete in the African Nations Cup, which is CAF's championship. Now that FIFA rankings and its points have such importance when it comes to WCQ, it's time that countries don't get punished for being drawn with the likes of Martinique and Guadeloupe in the Gold Cup, as you point out.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote