View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #59
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I went with Coates after being convinced yesterday he made the best out of a bad situation. Also acquiring the best player in franchise history has to count for something.

Treliving was strongly considered for his professional approach and quickly turning around an asset depleted bottom feeder. It took Cliff Fletcher 17 years to turn an expansion team into a cup winner so think we need to give Treliving more time to assess his turn around of what was essentially an expansion type roster.

I also thought about Burke since he brought in much needed professionalism and swagger while not screwing anything up. Too short a tenure though and as mentioned also needs to share blame for the 2014 draft. Probably belongs somewhere in the middle.
If we give BT 17 years, I am out. The team peaked in 89 but they were showing signs in the early 80s. Positive improvement and impact peices being added regularly. Can't compare eras but to say it took Cliff 17 years is a bit disingenuous. The team was good to great before that.

Gio-3/4 guy as recently as 2013
Brodie-solid youngster
Gaudreau-prospect
Monahan-rookie
Backlund-almost discarded by Feaster
What else was there really?
Janko-prospect
Russell, Wideman, etc. Stuff that any team has

Tkachuk-draft, got EXTREMELY fortunate
Lindholm-trade, kudos
Gaudreau-draft before BT
Monahan-draft before BT
Gio- inherited, turned into 1D
Brodie-inherited, about to let walk
Backlund-inherited, good 2C
Andersson-drafted, kudos
Hanifin-we'll see but I think he's Bret Hedican at best
Bennett-swing and a miss
Valimaki-jury is out
Mangi-good pick
Dube-we'll see
Janko-bust
Rittich-he scares the #### out of me tbh but seems overall to be average. Would not trust him in a game 7 situation. Looks like a great 1A but not a true blue starter. Too emotional, the anti Kipper.

I need to see more after 6 years. Maybe that's just me. I feel Tod Button is overrated and I'm not sure why he's been around so long. Two impact trades and selecting good players and prospects in RDs 1 and 2 mostly. Other guys that have potential but nothing special. Dube intrigues me the most but I suspect he will be a Cirelli at best, not a Point.

I give Tre props on Hammy and Lindholm but that's about it. The rfa deals are nice but were mostly wasted. What was the extra cap space used on?
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote