View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That happened in True Detective. That scene was talked about for months and then the series eventually fizzled.
I'm not sure which scene you're talking about (the only one I can think of is the long take, which wasn't particularly violent or smutty), but the problem is True Detective took season 1 and dialed it up to 15 on the convoluted scale for season 2. I don't recall either season being more or less violent or vulgar than the other. They returned to form in season 3, but it was basically a remake of season 1.

I think a really good example, at least in terms of nudity, is Shameless. The liberal use of nudity in season 1 compared to any other season is plain as day.

In a general sense, I don't agree that the major players like GoT, Sopranos, The Shield, etc. really changed course much over their respective series. All those listed were essentially the same show from beginning to end, apart from quality and focus. If anything GoT became more violent as the series progressed as it tries to top itself. We'll likely see the same type of thing from series like The Boys; the appeal being grotesque and gory.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote