Thread: Star Wars
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #973
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Review Republic Commando.

Ok finished the 3rd of the 5 book series. I don't know why I couldn't get through this series the first time, but its actually turned into a really good series that echos a lot of the problems with the Republic, and why people were probably ok with it being replaced by the Empire.

Remember that this book was written long before the idea of the Chips being put into the heads of the Clones so they would execute Order 66.

This book addresses a few key story lines, most of them around the idea that the Republic is using a slave army to fight their battles. The Clones have no rights, receive no pay, and have no life to look forward to mainly because first of all they have an accelerated life span, second of all, the Republic and Jedi for the most part don't care about their casualties.

This leads to some Jedi becoming disgruntled with both the Jedi Council and with the government of the republic to the point that one Jedi general leaves the order.

Meanwhile we're dealing with some moments of self awareness by the Clones, they are humans, and have human emotions, and can fall in love. This leads to one Clone Commando falling in love and knocking up a Jedi.

Meanwhile leading to the treatment of Clones we see how bad their treatment is, one main character a commando named Fi suffers and falls into a head injury and because there is no chance of him returning to duty, the protocol is euthanasia. When his fellow Commando's and a love interest of one of the Clones try to intervene and save his life they are informed that they are attempting to steal Republic Property.

The other main story line is the pursuit of Ko Sai the Kaminoan geneticist in an attempt to find a way to give the Clones a normal lifespan.

This book is a excellent read, it improves on Hard Contact while we follow the members of Delta Squad (from the game) and Omega Squad and get a deeper sense that these are people trapped and fighting for a completely corrupt Republic.

At the same time you can start to see the march towards the conclusion of the war and the execution of Order 66 with Palpatine's machinations happening in the back ground.

There aren't a ton of battle scenes in this book, it reads more like a combination of a political thriller and a detective knowledge.

Even though this is sadly a Legends book, you can see a lot of the Null Trooper characters in the Bad Batch which is really interesting.

4/5

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote