View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #9
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Oh, I don't think he has a short leash at all. I think he's the manager upper management wants in place. Not to sound conspiratorial, but he comes across as a puppet and just a guy grateful for the opportunity. I think he's in place for two seasons before he's given the yank.
Well yeah, I do think he is and has been the "puppet" you mentioned for those guys, a nice guy, letting these young guys figure things out on their own with not some old school task masker making them hate coming to the ball park some days. He was willing to do what the execs want him to do roster wise, and happy to have been given the chance. Also, this role now means his future roles will be higher profile being an ex manager etc so he comes out ahead personally. But he is and always has been a placeholder for the next guy for when the team wants to take the next step.

Which is why in my opinion, if the Jays are starting to enter win now mode, as signalled by supposed big money spending, and expectations higher, they are entering that next step phase, that his time with the Jays is in jeopardy.

Also, as part of the attraction of free agents, if that what is happening, to come to a winning organization, the process will include questions from free agents as to the experience of/ who manages the team and how the Jays sell how they plan to win sooner than later, and for multiple years in a row going forward as a team. IMO I don't think that answer includes Charlie.

Last edited by browna; 11-01-2020 at 10:24 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post: