View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Brought this up during the short season, but worth revisiting given the comments about Shatkins making free agent splashes to try and catch the curve of the young guys rising along with some experienced and pricey vets...does Montoyo start the season next year as manager?

I’m 50/50, but he has a real short leash if he does start (and the Jays spend big (relatively speaking) in FA this year).

I understand Atkins/Shapie-ro logic of getting a good mix of veterans and young guys to take pressure off the young guys and guide where needed (the guiding part probably a little overblown in pro sports). I tend to agree with the logic of it all, but where I disagree is the timing of bringing in big guns. I don't think this team is far, but I also don't think it's next year. Areas I think they need to shore up better - C, SP and probably 2 OF. I think acquiring one marquee player through spending $30MM isn't the way to go right now. I'd much rather them saving that money until next year, and spending it on a C and SP when they're ready to really go for it. I think this upcoming season will determine who goes and stays, and spending that money now will be not so great timing. I know Shapiro probably pitched for more dollars and ownership complied if it meant success, which is positive news, but I'd much prefer they hold off a year for that.

bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote