View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 AM   #2028
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
What do the Aves exactly want? Nobody seems to know!
I think it's fairly easy to guess what they want. A young player with a high upside similar to what Duchene's upside was and is. Hamonic as a defensive defensemen isn't really what they're looking for. You don't trade one of your star forwards for a defensive defensemen IMO, can't sell that deal to ownership or fans.

What type of deal do they want? IMO they want a Johansen for Seth Jones type of deal. They'd love a young potential franchise defenseman. Or IMO they'd probably love a Duchene for Bennett type of deal. Where they trade a guy they thought would be a franchise centre for them for a guy who still has 1st line centre upside. Duchene for Christian Dvorak+ might work for them.

IMO the keys are that they need somebody who can make an impact next year. Somebody who has high upside. And probably somebody slightly younger than Duchene so that the ages mesh well with their new core and MacKinnon.

If they do trade him for a prospect it basically has to be a very high profile prospect who isn't far from stepping in. MAYBE a PL Dubois or a Dylan Strome type player. That's the only way I could see them trading him for a prospect. Listing off Flames prospects makes no sense unless they love Jankowski and that's the guy the deal is centred around. But IMO adding Duchene totally hoops the Flames salary cap structure long term and there's no guarantee we re-sign him so IMO it's a total no go for the Flames. I'd rather re-sign Tkachuk/Bennett/Backlund than add Duchene cause adding him would mean we'd have to lose one of them or trade somebody else.

Much more likely is trading him for a young NHLer. As I said a Christian Dvorak type. It's really hard to think of names because most teams aren't really looking to part with great young NHLers. Basically you have to find a team that is stacked at one position (like NSH was with D when they traded Seth Jones) and can afford to give up an 'A' level young player. PHX with Dvorak, Keller, Strome, Domi, Chychrun, etc is one of the only ones coming to mind for me. Can anybody else think of a team that has a wealth of young D or young F and could afford to part with one?

The fact it's hard to think of teams/players that fit those descriptions is why this Duchene deal is a hard one and hasn't happened yet. I mean I think the Flames have a wealth of young NHLers but it doesn't make sense for us to trade a Bennett/Tkachuk/Hamilton for Duchene for a variety of reasons.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 07-21-2017 at 01:17 AM.