View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #287
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I just need to rant for a second then I'll stfu. I'm still baffled by this deal and the opinion of most people in this thread and out in the world of Calgary. I know it's only one small issue but it didn't even really register with anyone. Carra even gets re-elected. Anyway, this is not how you run a city and certainly not how it was done in the past...

https://omny.fm/shows/danielle-smith...eners-on-midfi

A past "alderman" Joanne Kerr was on the Danielle Smith show explaining how the city dealt with a private developer (Safeway) that bought the Cascade mobile home park and built Dalhousie Station. The city would not grant a development permit, would not even look at the application, until the developer, at the developer's cost, found a place for all the residents to move to, paid for all the moving costs, the rebuilding costs, decks, skirting etc, built a community center at the new park and even paid for hotels for people during the move. They even had to arrange it so people had the same neighbors. Then, and only the would the city consider an application for redevelopment. Why, because the city cares about all it's residents and blah blah blah.

Fast forward. So to answer many posts in this thread, NO, a private company that owns a trailer park in Calgary and wants to redevelop can not just chuck people out after the given period of eviction is past. Rented land with a trailer is different than rented anything else. Trailers are not mobile. They are chattels owned by people and need to be treated as such and in the past have been treated as such under mandate by the city.

And furthermore, you can't write two letters guaranteeing people a place to move their trailers and then completely disregard that letter. That's the definition of fraud. There's just no argument to be made otherwise, especially Nenshi's argument that according to a survey no one in the park wanted to move to East Hills. Was there a question on the survey that said, "Do you want to move to East Hills or have 10k and your trailer bulldozed?" Cause that's going to get you a different result I'm pretty sure.

The whole thing is just so crooked and stupid it boggles the mind. Seven years ago when Nenshi took office we could have made residents whole, bought all the trailers and developed the land to its highest and best use and we could have had all the property tax revenue, hundreds of millions over the seven lost years. Instead, we've clowned around for like ten years, given a stupid amount of notice, sent armies of counselors and advocates literally every day for three years to help people find places and not jump off bridges, and now we're going to wind up paying social services to take care of these people. And for what? So we could save a grand total of about 7 million dollars more than the 4 they've already agreed to pay people. What a bunch of dolts. I say dolts not because they made this mistake, but they, Nenshi in particular, try defending it by saying they're going above and beyond in their attempt to take care of these people. And that they were the ones that said they didn't want a new park. C'mon Man.

I also wonder how much people are going to add as a risk premium when dealing with this council in future contracts. I know I would.
Thank you for this. It has been painful to see how the city has treated these people my family included. Another resident committed suicide last night and every is feeling really down today. Even the judge didn't believe what the city did was right but it was not against the law. Just cold. All while they spend millions to study the Olympics and take trips abroad to Korea to sip champagne and hob knob with the IOC. Most of the people left will have to either move in with family or those that I are alone will be living at the Mustard Seed since they will still be paying a mortgage on a trailer they no longer have.

I don't know how the Mayor and the rest of council sleep at night.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post: