View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #56
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Hey CP,

Hopefully you can all help. So I bought a ‘13 used ML350 exactly 14 days ago. It sat in my garage the past 3 days moved it today and there was a oil pool under it.

I called the dealership I bought it from (wasn’t a Mercedes dealership we bought from) and brought it in. Just a call that it maybe the upper pan seal a job which requires approx 20 hours of labor. We have owned the SUV 14 days and out just over 500kms on it.

I didn’t get the extended warranty due to its $6000 price tag. And the dealership is already saying “you bought a used car with no warranty” and said they will help me out with the bill as in a 50/50 split which could still be upwards to $2000.

I don’t want to name the dealership but it was a reputable dealership in the Auto-mall and it’s being negotiated as to what’s going to happen at the moment but what if any sort of consumer laws do I have that could possibly be on my side I can get the help from if I need.

Any help would be appreciated.
I have dealt with similar circumstances before. Is there a chance you could still buy a power train warranty given how few km's you've put on? Although two weeks passing may not permit this to be an option..... Not only would this cover the current issue but the warranty would cover other potential issues down the road. Instead of getting the dealer to go 50/ 50 on this fix see if they will go 50/ 50 on a warranty that would cover this and you both win??? This is something we've done before.

The dealer should also feel obligated to help cover the cost. There's a good chance this was a known issue but the sales person did not disclose it or didn't even know about it. Vehicles can pass a safety inspection with leaks, drips etc... A leaking transfer case is not a safety related problem but is a mechanical concern, the same goes for leaking transmission or coolant lines. So this vhicle could've passed an AMVIC inspection but any mechanical deficiencies shold have been noted on the AMVIC.

There's nothing more frustrating then customers refusing warranty because of the cost then 2 months down the road wanting something fixed for free. No, sorry we offered you a warranty and you refused, knowing the risk, and now you have to live with the decision you've made. Not only that but so many people do not realize that the cost of the warranty is base on four things. The age of the vehicle, the km's on it, the cost and availability of parts and the type of coverage you choose. So in your case a $6000 warranty should give you a pretty good indication of cost of and frequency of repairs, perhaps this should've been a red flag fro you fr the start?