View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #351
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
That is an equally dumb retort. Transportation engineering is about logical action in response to actual statistics and known tendencies of driver behaviour, not implementing solutions that are seeking a problem. I go to school in a building with a bunch of civil engineers with combined centuries of experience in this field... not one of them thinks this is a good idea, more specifically the way the proposal came about and the planned implementation. I'll take their word over yours.
I work with traffic engineers everyday in my field. There is definitely a generational divide happening in the field in terms of questions on design speed, safety, speed limits, etc.

Younger engineers tend to feel that constraining the carriageway, ruducing lane widths, on street parking, street trees, curb bulbs that slow traffic result in a safer conditions for all users. Old school tend to believe that simpler, less constrained environments are safer, even though they induce higher speed.

In any event, I agree that speed limits alone, especially in really big streets have limited utility. Must be combined with design changes and calming measures. That’s why this motion ALSO points to this, not speed limits alone.

Last edited by Bunk; 09-26-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post: