View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #11885
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
This is one of those 'careful what you wish for' moments. So many on here were crying out for a change of coach, to an experienced, cup winning coach who would whip this team into shape and turn around the season. Well you got your coach, for 2 more years, but it hasn't quite worked out the way it was expected and actually it has turned out the problem was the players after all.
Now that most finally agree that we need to change some core players, we have a coach that works badly with young players, which is what the flames need to be putting into the line up right now, or going forward.
Not sure of the point I am trying to make, just saying that if a team looks like a pig, giving it a different farmer still makes it a pig.

Isn’t that kind of the problem? That people needed a coach like Darryl to figure out what we actually had? I was never on the fire the coach bandwagon because I knew it was a personnel problem, it has always been a personnel problem. This roster is so flawed with holes everywhere in the line up, no coach could ever take this roster to the next level. But I guess everyone finally got their elite coach and can finally see what the roster is.

I don’t know if this particular team truly is in need of young players, maybe if the philosophy shifted to rebuild than absolutely. But ironically, it might actually be the youngest players on this team who have hurt the team the most down the stretch here. Maybe the kids weren’t exactly ready to take the next step and perhaps that’s why Darryl has benched, scratched and called some them out in the media. Most of the pre/post game Sutter remarks that I’ve heard have been mostly about blaming the young players for turnovers, coverage mistakes and not playing with enough pace. He even said something along the lines of this team not being in the playoffs because 3 or 4 young defensemen have struggled this season. He definitely has not pulled many punches in regards to the kids. Most modern day coaches I think would bite their tongue, but Darryl employs the old school tough love method.