View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #143
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The Toronto media bias really has only resulted in awards of the touchy feely kind IMO. I mean, Matthews won the Calder, but he deserved it. Aside from that you have to go a long ways back to find a performance award for a Leaf - in 2003 Mogilny won the Byng. Before that, you have to got to 2003 when Gilmour won a Selke and Burns won the Adams.

If Toronto had that much influence I would have thought Sundin would win a Selke or Byng, and he didn't. He got a Messier Leadership award.
There were many years where MacInnis should have won the Norris while in Calgary but always lost to Bourque who played out east.

Then as soon as Chopper got traded closer out east to St. Louis, he won the Norris and he arguably had it easier out there playing with a prime Pronger.

If Gio and Reilly are anywhere close in points, i'd be shocked if Gio won. They'll point to the great defence partners Gio has and Reilly doesn't have.

Gio's only saving grace will be that he is a Toronto boy. That might help him.