View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 12:50 PM   #2060
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1crunch View Post
But then you countered him by suggesting there are a bunch of perceived 'woke' things in society. Specifically, that hiring practices on movies/shows are driven by some need for social justice.
I did, because in many cases they very clearly are. I'm not sure how to convince someone that this is a thing, because it seems really obvious.
Quote:
I think I've tried to argue, that while might be the case, its not a given. And regardless, company's should be free to hire as they see fit.
Which is fine by me, but as I pointed out, the people complaining about "wokeness" and the allegedly "woke" people they're upset at seem to agree that casting and hiring choices are worth getting really worked up about, so this may be a minority opinion, at least as far as loud people on the internet go (I doubt it's a minority opinion in reality).
Quote:
As well, promoting equal representation isn't necessarily a terrible thing. I mean, lots of actors used to smoke in movies in the 70s and 80s and now rarely any do. Is this some grand scheme of social engineering by the movie studios or are they just reflecting the changes in society since then?
I don't think these two concepts are really linked, but I agree promoting equal representations isn't a bad thing, especially when the stakes are as low as "who plays Ariel in a movie". I think the decline in smoking in movies has something to do with a broad cultural change and something to do with money - you also don't see a lot of cigarette ads on TV nowadays.
Quote:
Regardless, did your response to Pepsi not swing the pendulum, to some degree, back the other way with what you were arguing?
I don't know what you mean by this. I don't think everyone who thinks social justice issues are important foams at the mouth or tries to foist their viewpoint on everyone else, if that's what you're suggesting. But the people who do act that way are highly annoying and occasionally successful in implementing their vision.
Quote:
I will say, I can't take anyone who uses the word 'woke' as a way of addressing people seriously.
It gets a wince from me, too, but as I mentioned, the same is true of the word "problematic".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote