View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 12:39 PM   #2056
b1crunch
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is true, certainly, though it's again unsurprising - everyone paints the opposing ideology with broad strokes and attributes the worst behaviour of anyone vaguely associated with that ideology to everyone involved. Nothing new there... I mean, it was literally the genesis of this conversation, with Pepsi posting about people using woke in place of racial slurs, as if everyone who uses the word "woke" as a negative was a dyed in the wool racist.
But then you countered him by suggesting there are a bunch of perceived 'woke' things in society. Specifically, that hiring practices on movies/shows are driven by some need for social justice. I think I've tried to argue, that while might be the case, its not a given. And regardless, company's should be free to hire as they see fit. As well, promoting equal representation isn't necessarily a terrible thing. I mean, lots of actors used to smoke in movies in the 70s and 80s and now rarely any do. Is this some grand scheme of social engineering by the movie studios or are they just reflecting the changes in society since then?

Regardless, did your response to Pepsi not swing the pendulum, to some degree, back the other way with what you were arguing?

I will say, I can't take anyone who uses the word 'woke' as a way of addressing people seriously.
b1crunch is offline   Reply With Quote