View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 12:12 PM   #2049
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
And yeah, I think it seemed pretty obvious that there was a deliberate choice about wanting a black little mermaid. I think that's actually great if the point was to have girls who look like that actress see themselves as a Disney princess. Couldn't care less. I think it was actually a lot about press and money, though, obviously. Meh. Whatever. Who cares.
You don't care. I don't care.

But my wife cares. Ariel in The Little Mermaid was the Disney character that she most identified with as a little girl because she's a redhead too. Redheads make up all of ~2-6% of the world's population, making them a smaller minority than a lot of demographics you'd typically see regarded as minorities. The whole argument about wanting to have little girls look at actresses and see someone who look like them is perfectly sound, but I can understand the frustration from people who have a connection with a beloved character seeing it changed especially when -- on its face -- the motivations appear to be as you suspect; money and press.

Hollywood is getting lazy as hell as it is, do it by making a new IP. Black Panther is a great example of doing exactly that.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote