View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 11:57 AM   #2044
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1crunch View Post
What does that look like though? Are the white actors in black face? Because that's obviously wrong. On the other hand, lets say someone does a remake of a show that previously had black actors.... Bad Boys with Will Smith... and they wanted to do it with actors of a different ethnicity instead. Then, yea, that's okay. Why wouldn't it be?
Well, if they did remake bad boys with white actors, first of all, there would absolutely be outrage. But to answer your question about "what does that look like", here is one of a number of examples of controversy about that very thing.

https://ew.com/movies/kevin-feige-ti...e-controversy/

But to answer your question about why it wouldn't be okay, I think it's fine for pretty much the same reasons I don't care about the little mermaid example. I don't think it's worth caring about either of them, but a lot of people do, whether they're on the social justice side of the issue or they're criticizing that social justice side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1crunch View Post
I don't consider myself a "social justice warrior" or anything. Just carrying on a thought experiment here with you, but I'd suppose that of course social justice is all encompassing. Social justice is literally concerned with fairness in society, so people who are proponents of justice in society would want to see it everywhere.
Absolutely - if you're an adherent of this ideology, absolutely you would, and you see social injustice to be righted everywhere in society and want to tackle all of it. But you also should understand that that lens isn't everyone's lens, and others either don't see what you're seeing, or see some examples of what you think is a horrible injustice as not being important, or see some examples of what you think as not being unjust. To a lot of those people, your mission to see what you believe is justice implemented everywhere in society is really no different than a born again Christian who wants to talk to everyone about accepting Jesus as their personal saviour - in the view of that born-again Christian, their mission is equally important, and equally righteous as yours in terms of doing good in the world. And it annoys the absolute #### out of a lot of people, even if you might agree with them about, for example, helping feed and house the homeless.

And often, the reaction to people who don't share your view of the world (or in some cases, even if they don't feel it's a primary concern of theirs that guides their daily life) is either "well, you're just privileged, that's why you think that way", up to, "well, you're just upset you can't use the racial slurs you used to enjoy", as was previously flippantly suggested earlier. That's highly obnoxious behaviour.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: