View Single Post
Old 01-31-2022, 01:58 PM   #33
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Anybody have any thoughts on the MAID (medical assistance in dying) program in Alberta being used for dementia?

I know for a fact I would rather take advantage of that shortly into dementia rather than go through the whole long process at great emotional toll (and expense, I'm assuming) on my family.

I also wouldn't want to be the point person helping a loved one through all the stages of dementia when the end is a foregone conclusion. I would hope anybody under my charge would be willing to bow out early.
My thoughts:
  • I've seen absent families swoop in later stages of life to get that sweet, sweet inheritance. I'm concerned this program could be used for this purpose.
  • Even in early stages, I'm not super confident someone with dementia can confidently make that decision.
  • I'd be supportive of MAID and someone with dementia if it was clearly and legally documented before diagnosis. Much like someone signing a organ donor card.
  • I would also want to see a lot of rigour and thought put into things like, when to do it when mental faculties no longer exist. It sounds like some of that is in place in my brief look at the program.

EDIT: I don't believe this was in place for my dad at the time, but even if it was I wouldn't have known exactly what to do. We never talked about this sort of thing and my dad was a bit of a traditionalist.

Near the end, I wanted him to go ASAP as no one deserves that. My browser history I'm sure was pretty interesting during that time. Still... I wouldn't have known 100% if he wanted to die.

Last edited by sketchyt; 01-31-2022 at 02:02 PM.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post: