View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 03:06 PM   #35
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

First 8 years of my career as a geologist, I worked for large corporations. I worked the usual 8 to 4:30, came home, had supper and went back to work until 10:00pm. I loved what I was doing, wanted to learn all I could. I distrusted corporations, hated the corporate ass kissing, and felt that if I stayed in my job I would gradually lose a tiny part of my soul each day. However, in spite of what I have just said, I believe that the corporate life can be great for many.

So after 8 years, I formed a consultant company, purchased a small oil company, and worked on my own for the remainder of my 40 year career. I always loved my work, and as they say, "If you love your work, you never work a day in your life". The work was challenging, and I found in order to stay small I had to expand my capabilities to become part engineer, landman, economist, salesman, etc. So my no means was it an easy job, especially with all the ups and down cycles in the industry.

My wife was a teacher, and as I was an independent geologist, we were able to spend July and August at our cottage. It was there that we were able to recharge our batteries for the following 10 months.

I realize for a young geologist to duplicate the same thing today would be extremely difficult, if not next to impossible, with the huge increase in rules and regulations, the political interference, the investment scene, etc. However, a few of the things I would suggest are:

1. Learn as much as you can as fast as you can, not just in geology but in all the other related areas e.g. engineering, financial, land, etc.

2. Have confidence and trust in your own abilities

3. Value your ability to take risks

4. Realize that the oil and gas industry is here to stay.

Last edited by flamesfever; 08-14-2022 at 06:50 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post: