View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #204
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
She's terrified of stuffed animals. Afraid they are going to squeak, which is like a total no around her. Clicking is bad, but a squeak is terrifying. Also, she's smaller than nearly all the dog toys available on the market. As for playing with toys, no teeth, so that's a bit hard too.

I think I have the vague generalities right, but it's the details I need help with.
How long have you had her? We got a rescue back in August. She wasn't necessarily scared of toys at first, but she would have nothing to do with them. Oh and yeah if they squeaked, she would scamper away. I think she grew up without toys, and had no concept of them.

For the first while we were a little bit worried because she would be home alone for a couple hours with nothing to do. I had to slowly coax her into liking toys of any sort. Started with a Kong, which she would pick at on her own, but still nothing else for a while.

Finally after a few weeks of gaining our trust, she was getting comfortable playing with us. That's when I introduced a few toys. Whenever she would open up herself to belly rubs or visibly in play mode (butt up!), I would get a toy and play with her and the toy. Imagine our joy when she finally started playing with it! Fast forward a couple more months, and now she plays with nearly all the toys we give her.

Best solution for us was time gaining our trust, then trusting we would give her something safe to play with I guess.