View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #195
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
When something changes the way that your body or brain functions, to me thats a clear sign that your bodies screaming, quit f$$king with my chemistry balance, your doing damage.
Sure... sugar does the same thing, tobacco, as you mentioned, caffeine, prescription drugs, etc. The argument isn't that marijuana is harmless, it's that it's hypocritical of the legal system to allow similar drugs but not marijuana 'just because'. If marijuana is outlawed because it 'changes the way your body or brain functions', then a whole host of other stuff has to go too.

Quote:
Its the same with liquor, when you get drunk, its your body telling you that your poisoning it.

When you do other drugs, its the same thing.
Exactly. So why are some drugs (liquor/tobacco) legal, and others aren't? Hypocracy of the system imo.

Quote:
Personally I don't care one way or another if they legalize that stuff, as long as I get a cut of the tax revenue. But the argument that making it legally will reduce the criminal element doesn't work for me either. The criminal element thats involved in dealing is going to find a way to make it more potent or cheaper, or they're going to work harder to find a substitute revenue stream.
This same argument would apply to liquor, and yet we don't see a massive black market for liquor out there. That's because with privatized sales, aside from taxes, retailors can sell marijuana for whatever they want. There would be no incentive for retailors to sell it at a price at which people may as well turn to the black market.

If beer was $12/can at the liquor store, but your buddy down the alley brewed it for $0.50/can, you'd buy from him if you could. This isn't the case, because booze is reasonably priced to the point where it's a hassle to make your own compared to the cost at the store. What would be the point of legalizing marijuana, and then having all stores selling it to price it so high that no one bought it legally? Dumb way to 'legalize' something. It's like legalizing prostitution then saying the minimum price is $1000.00... people would just keep doing it illegally. Now if the minimum price was $50.00, most people would go the 'legal' route.

The criminal element isn't selling chocolate bars, or coffee, or any other drugs in massive quantities over retailors, I'd even wager over %95 of cigarettes out there are bought legally.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote