View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #197
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm also originally from Calgary and currently live in Vancouver, so I can relate in that sense. Not going to comment about my income though, not my style. [emoji16]

The unaffordability of the real estate out here is ridiculous and that won't change (don't let others convince you that the market will correct, because it won't). I was fortunate enough to get into the market in the 90s on a cheap townhome here and there's no way in hell I'm going to get back into the market now. I'm currently renting downtown because my own unit is too big for me (single guy). Is real estate affordable in Calgary though (not more affordable, but affordable, period)? It seems like real estate across Canada is mostly not aligned to salaries unless you're talking SK, Ottawa and the Maritimes, so I'm not sure you're going to an affordable place with respect to real estate by going to Calgary.

If you're moving because you're tired of the constant rain and persistent lack of sun, I completely understand. People love to talk about the mild temperatures out here (which they're correct about) but fail to mention the 8 months of gray skies and rain. It really wears on you and this year without being able to go away somewhere with sun for vacation has definitely impacted me.

Also, obviously having jobs when you and your partner move out there would be ideal and I personally wouldn't do it without having something lined up. I hear Calgary's not great right now for work but Vancouver never really was so at worst it's maybe the same? But I wonder if waiting until covid is over before moving might be a better option?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote