View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 05:23 PM   #188
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want me to do a street by street comparison, I would happily do so. You are right that Vancouver has a few more high streets, although I haven't been to Calgary in sometime, I would say that it did have the Kensington area, 4th St. 17th Ave, and Stephan's Ave.

Commercial, Main, 4th Ave, and Robson are all really nice in Vancouver, but suffer from business vacancies, widespread public drug use, etc...

Hands down though, you will not find as walkable a food neighbourhood as Robson west of Burrard. I love the West End. Best food in town, especially if you love Japanese, Korean, and Chinese.

Yeah, Granville Island is just a giant parking lot now. It's ####.

Quote:
This isn't quite true though. I have no idea what it's like in Covid but the whole city was completely navigable with a bike and a transit pass. Maybe not all the ski hills per se, but even there you can get to Grouse on a bus. Not a shuttle, a normal, city bus drives right up to the gondola. North Van = Seabus, Richmond = Skytrain right to Richmond Centre (I have no idea why you'd want to go there but there you are). There are multiple buses, private and translink, from downtown Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay. The Tsawassen ferry terminal is a bit tougher to do by transit I'd imagine, but it's not exactly a quick drive in a car, either. It was easier when there was still Car2Go but it's not that bad, and it's miles ahead of Calgary in terms of accessibility because the train actually goes to the place you want to get to, rather than a station several blocks away across a massive parking lot in -15 degree weather. You just have to put up with getting rained on.
Yes, but, it is pretty inconvenient. If you live along Skytrain, you are laughing, but Vancouver has been pretty reluctant to actually develop along the train routes.

Otherwise, yes, the region is pretty well connected with public transit, but once you leave Vancouver proper, the bus schedules etc can get pretty spotty. Getting to Tsawassen ferry terminal can take over 2.5 hours by bus/train with all the connections.

Last edited by peter12; 02-24-2021 at 05:27 PM.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote