View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #82
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
This comes up every year we do this. IMO the best way to rank them is a combination of both. But upside does trump nhl readiness as the more important consideration. For example it would be beyond silly for us to have voted Kulak ahead of Valimaki last year when Kulak was NHL ready. Valimaki is a potential top pairing dman, Kulak most likely a bottom pairing guy.

One way to think about it that I like that another poster has mentioned already is which prospect would be most valuable in trade. This ranks our prospects in terms of value both to the organization and league wide. Of course we only have access to our perception of their trade value but I think it’s a good way to think about it.

I think Scorpions approach (most nhl ready) where he voted Klimchuk is off the mark. No offense Scorp. I think upside when fully developed has to be a big consideration. NHL ready bottom pairing dmen (Kulak last year) or 4th line forwards (Hathaway in the past) shouldn’t ever be ranked ahead of guys who have star potential who are a couple years away.

I think Valimaki was the clearcut #1. And I can see the arguments for Andersson, Dube and Parsons this round. Parsons because of upside despite the poor season. Dube and Andersson because of a blend of upside and nhl readiness. Kylington I can understand somewhat too although I’m not as convinced on him as a couple people are. Voting any of them this round does not make you a troll. I don’t really understand anybody not voting Valimaki last round though, I think he was the clearcut indisputable #1.
It would be nice if everyone stated which method they are using to vote in these polls.
I can see valid reasons to choose either method or even use a combination of both.
I personally chose "most NHL ready" as that is the method that provides the most immediate help to the roster.
That said, anyone choosing a different method has just as valid an opinion as mine.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote