View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #50
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
While I think Boeing should have informed pilots about the characteristics of the MCAS system, I'm also going to reference a post by Fuzz on the first page.

His brother (a pilot) said that it's easy to tell on the 737 if the stabilizer trim is out of whack. Whether it's a MAX with MCAS or an NG (737-700/800/900) without it, it doesn't matter. Runaway trim is runaway trim - the trim wheel on the 737 makes a lot of noise, and if it's doing something it's not supposed to, the automatic/electric trim can be disabled with the flick of two switches.

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-s...em-mcas-jt610/

It's way too early to be jumping to conclusions and saying that JT610 and ET302 are identical incidents. The aircraft in the Lion Air crash was potentially not airworthy, and maintenance practices at Lion have come under scrutiny.

Not to mention the comments already made about pilot training and safety standards in third world countries, and how easy it is to disable the automatic trim. Until both investigations are completed, it's irresponsible to suggest grounding every 737 MAX in the world, or to suggest that the plane is a death trap.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/eth...nada-1.5051663

(Disclaimer: I'm not a pilot, just an armchair aviation geek, so I can only give you what I interpret based on what I'm reading about the situation. I'm just getting a little tired of all the fear-mongering that the media is doing)
You're hilariously downplaying the importance of this. There's no way on god's green earth WestJet isn't concerned about this and aren't discussing grounding the fleet voluntarily before Transport Canada mandates they do. I guarantee all the communications are already written with press releases, internal memos and call center scripts explaining the decision behind grounding the fleet out of an abundance of caution, etc.

There has probably already been an internal memo about how WestJet offers its condolences to the families affected by this incident and to its colleagues in the industry for this horrible tragedy, but you are confident in your maintenance team and the safety of the aircraft. Scripts to allay guest fears if they're booked on a 737 Max 8 are being parroted in the call center and customer care right now, I'm sure.

The next memo will be about how even though the initial decision to keep flying the 737 Max 8 was the correct decision given the facts at the time, now the determination has been made to re-accommodate guests on other aircraft while we work with Boeing to ensure we continue to safely operate our aircraft. The scheduling team is working like mad trying to sort all this out right now, and the communications can't go out until a re-accommodation plan is made or Transport Canada forces their hand.

Until we know what caused both crashes, it's irresponsible to continue flying the aircraft.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote