View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #639
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Can we just rename the thread “climate change thread: a demonstration of confirmation bias”
i'm might go with, motivated reasoning?

Think allot of it is attribution error in reality, that turns into motivated reasoning, which drives confirmation bias. Many people in Calgary have heavily participate and personally profited from climate damaging industries. They also know and understand themselves to be generally good people. In a subconscious way its hard for them to accept the things that have been so good for such a good and thoughtful person as themselves could be drive existential risk. They are unknowingly attributing responsibility for large structural problems to their own identity and jumping on any opportunity to justify something that is objectively harmful in an effort to reconcile the harm with the fact that they believe themselves to be a good person. This is what causes a very smart engineer to stand in front of me with a straight face and tell me we propbably can wait untill CO2 reaches 7000ppm to start worrying.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post: