View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #70
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I agree. Safe injection sites aren't likely to encourage people to become drug addicts, but they do substantially reduce drug addiction related health care costs.

It's more or less conclusively shown that the vast majority of addicts become addicts due to underlying emotional/psychological issues. Facilitating injection is, therefore, not likely to encourage existing addicts to keep using either. The safe injection sites do offer counselling.

All this being said....If I'd spent my life savings on a home to raise a family, I'd be ticked off if an injection site opened up next door. Any sane person should, and we all have some degree of NIMBYism.
I wonder though..You said there is a user community built-up around these safe injection sites in Vancouver . And these communities encourage drug use. They aren't trying to get people to quit.

So maybe these safe injection sites are providing users with safe and clean needles, which is good. But it also works as a networking centre of sorts. You meet like minded junkies who are happy to live that life. So instead of trying to change or seek help they keep on living for that next high. And probably fall deeper down that spiral.

Once again I'll go back to alcohol. If I'm an alcoholic is it really a good idea for me to be going to a place where other alcoholics go? They have no interest in stopping. Is it healthy for me to spend time with these people?
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote