View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #44
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw it last night. Went in with pretty moderate expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

I would agree a little more of the flashbacks when she was younger might have helped build her narrative a bit, but overall, for what is a very complicated backstory, I thought they did a great job of laying it out without too much expository dialogue. I thought part way through that they did a great job of making this accessible to people without any knowledge or care of the MCU. You dont need to see any other movies to understand this, it is very much stand-alone with easter eggs for fans.

I'd agree her character development wavered a bit with the amount of time jumps. But I liked her attitude. A nice change from what are usually pretty stoic and serious superheroes (particuarly the women) and making her unafraid of being goofy. Screaming back at Skrulls while taking them down was funny. But then, when taking on Yon Rogg at the end, I loved the irony of him trying to remind her that she's the emotional one, when it's obviously the other way around in that moment. Giving the Skrulls a more casual attitude than, lets say, the Vulcans, I think goes a long way to connecting with them as well.

Little things go a long way for fans too. When Yon Rogg calls in the Skrull invasion of Earth to Ronin and he wants to eradicate them, Hounsou's character was about to freely give him the coordinates before Yon Rogg stopped him. A cool little foreshadow to him aligning with Ronin later on as a radical.

The de-aging was remarkable, especially on Jackson. Doesn't hurt that he still looks 40 regardless, but still. Fine work from the effects team. Coulson looked good too, but not quite as much.

Neat to see the Skrulls flipped as "good" guys. I wouldnt doubt there have been some Skrulls working in Shield that Fury kept planted here. Interested to see where it goes from here.

Last edited by Coach; 03-19-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post: