View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #56
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
wow, you have really drank the Kool-Aid haven't you?

I voted no - but I would be interested in a plebiscite - although great point about how a plebiscite should include more than just Calgary residents.

I just see this as another way for the government to saddle us with more debt.
So...if you think it's worth trying, you've "drank the Kool-aid"? What kind of discourse is that? We're here to discuss the pros and cons of going after it aren't we? How about a respectful discussion.

I happen to think the Olympics are very important. I don't blame people for being skeptical, or even cynical. The track record of requirements and cost control has been poor. The IOC has taken tangible, positive steps through its reform program Vision 2020 - which you can see some of the results of in the LA and Paris programs.

Forgive me for waxing poetic, but I think the games are important because they are one of the only true global events that brings humanity together for common cause, and cooperation. That has value. I also just think it's a hell of a lot of fun. If Calgary can truly be part of getting the games hosting situation back on track, and we can leverage that effort to our advantage knowing the IOC needs us more than we need them, let's go down the path. I've always said, if the terms are not favourable, or if demands return to being ridiculous, then we should be out. Full stop.