View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #45
CPK80
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I voted yes; But only because of the way the City is looking at running it. Their initial budget is 4.5-5 Billion and focusing on resuing of facilities. Yes, that could increase but I don't see it going crazy.

I will always point to this article first; As we need to be comparing our Olympic bid to what Vancouver did, not Russia, China, or Rio. http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/three...olympic-games/

I have looked at his from a different way; What would the City of Calgary have to spend if they didn't host the Olympics.

- Upgrades to current legacy venues (Olympic Oval, Canmore Nordic Centre, Olympic Plaza, Saddledome, Winsport.
- Upgrades to the Stampede Grounds, and expansion of BMO Centre. (CMLC is currently developing a plan to do this)
- Construction of low-income housing
- Arena deal
- CMLC Victoria Park Master Plan

I also see the economic benefit being more than two weeks.

- Construction jobs to put people back to work; short-term but would be helpful.
- Construction of some new hotels (Building permit revenue)
- Olympians and there coaching staff will be living and be training in Calgary in the years leading up to the Olympics.
- Millennials are looking for experiences and for Calgary and Area to maintain to be a tourist destination we need to continue to create those opportunities.
- The expedited build out of East Village and Victoria Park, which will allow the City to close the current CRL sooner (Less Interest Paid)
- Improved convention space, ability to attract new conferences.

But there is one thing I see that is maybe being a bit overlooked; is the revenue stream from Advertisers and Media. 2026 is in a unique place where the 2024 Olympics are in Paris and the 2028 Olympics are in LA. Two very important markets where I think you will see increased marketing budgets. The 2026 host will get a spin-off as I think you will see bundled proposals to get all three.

Chris
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CPK80 For This Useful Post: