View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #3085
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard a great interview today with a professor out of Tel Aviv who was part of a team that discovered a way to mess with Quarks to create a power process 8 times more powerful than a hydrogen bomb.

had they believed there was a potential to militarize the discovery the professor said they would have buried it.

Here is a link to an article about it.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/07/...study-nuclear/

Quote:
Motivated by their findings, they then focussed on the much-heavier bottom quarks. The same binding process, they claim, would theoretically release approximately 138 MeV, which is almost eight times as much as hydrogen fusion (which also powers hydrogen bombs). Naturally, this set off alarm bells, with the researchers hesitating to go public with their findings.

"If I thought for a microsecond that this had any military applications, I would not have published it," professor Marek Karliner told Live Science. But, further calculations suggested that causing a chain reaction with quarks would be impossible -- mainly because they don't exist long enough to set each other off. Plus, there's the fact that this type of bottom quark fusion is completely theoretical.