View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
3) I'm not sure if this is in the book, but no matter what the bride and groom say, DO NOT DO/ALLOW an open mic, no one has ever left a wedding thinking "Wow, that 20 minutes of inside jokes and awkward stories were great, especially when drunk uncle made all those totally inappropriate jokes.
I was at a wedding that had a sort of open mic. But it was a second mic. The MC didn't give up his, but a second was kept at the DJ booth, the DJ would give it to the MC, who could give it to someone if they wanted to talk a bit. The MC kept a good eye on who had it, and the DJ could cut the mic while the MC used his to talk over and soothe things down a bit if the person on the mic was too drunk or inappropriate. Also, when folks would open with "I have a couple stories about..." the MC would usually jump in pretty quick with something along the lines of "Why don't you just tell us the best one, then?"

Wedding MC'ing is way more about managing people than anything else...and the people you need to manage are gonna be drunk. An MC should be staying mostly sober, imo.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote