View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #34
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
If this is true, what does that say about the actual people? A nation full of citizens who are contented with their choice of junk that they will ignore egregious human rights violations against millions of their own?

Like, imagine how easy it would be to get rid of those pesky drug abusers and racial tensions in our lives if we were all okay with just rounding up the addicts and indigenous and detaining them in the NWT.

I’m sure it’s more complex than a few paragraphs on a forum. But I’m not willing to excuse a society that will turn its head away from things like the “the repression and systematic abuses of 13 million” minorities on a routine basis because they can buy things.
Tell me about the average middle class Canadian who didn't take to the streets and focused on things in their own life while the residential school system was going on. What does it say about them that they even had the vote that could have been used to change that system?

Do you think it's coincidental that the murder of George Floyd erupts in nationwide protests in the US at a time when there is massive unemployment, a pandemic, businesses shutting down and an general sense of getting left behind among the middle class? Would the same protests be erupting over racial injustices if main street was doing great and people were all busy with work?

Do your neighbors step outside each day and think about how the land where they live is theirs now as a result of the genocide of tens of millions of indigenous people, with survivors who actually were pushed into spaces that keep them out of sight and who still face discrimination? Do they spend each day fighting to correct this, or do they spend each day trying to improve the lives of their own family?

Do you think average people in China are just people trying to deal with paying mortgages, raising their kids well, saving for retirement and having social and family life, like your neighbors are, or are they immoral monsters?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post: