View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #3732
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

As I caught up in this thread and read all the bickering, I thought I was going to side with oling. I am pretty anti police at this point, and definitely think police across the board (no not EVERY, but at this point it sure looks like a majority) needlessly escalate situations. I figured there was no way that it was necessary to run those people over. My initial reactions were that the dude in front laying backwards on the hood was not a reason to drive over people.

But then I did watch it again and you can pretty plainly see thanks to the reflections that there is a large hole in the rear window. And if windows were starting to get broken out, I can understand why the officer was fearful and even that he acted with a sense of urgency as opposed to trying to warn or drive out slowly.

Sure the cops have all the firepower and in a way shouldn't need to feel threatened by mostly peaceful protesters. But I at least can understand it from the officers point of view.

I think if this was an AITA, I would just vote ESH as there's plenty of fault to go around.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.