View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 07:08 PM   #1
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default Amazon Investing $4 Billion - Setting up A Datacentre Region in Calgary

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...oud-computing-

I posted this in the Calgary Openings, Closings, and Developments thread but getting an AWS Datacentre Region is a big deal for Calgary and Southern Alberta so I think it should get its own thread as it's quickly de-railing the other one.

As Shazam mentioned in the other thread, a datacenter region is a big deal as it's actually multiple datacenters to serve all of Western Canada and there's a lot of infrastructure required as well such as solar farms, etc. This is not on the level of an Amazon HQ but it's much bigger than fulfillment centers.

I've always been surprised that Microsoft has not created a Western Canada datacenter region and has conglomerated it into just Toronto and Montreal - maybe because of Ontario nuclear and Quebec hydro running them.

It was also clarified in the other thread that this is investment over time and the 900 jobs in the article are across Canada as much of the work can be done remotely. They expect to invest $21 billion in its two Canadian infrastructure regions by 2037, which will support more than 5,000 new jobs.

Many Canadian companies have data residency concerns - they don't want your private financial or health data to go into the US for example so datacenter regions within the country are important.

You can soon add a dot to where we are.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-08-2021 at 07:10 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: