View Single Post
Old 03-17-2022, 01:32 PM   #36
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the.... I spent like $900-$1200 on work laptops and those are typically work horse and over powered laptops for our needs. What are some of you guys doing that requires such expensive laptops for school and work?

It's metaphorically sounding like you guys are basically buying Porches for short daily commutes. Unless a significant portion of it is pleasure (ie: Gaming). But even then... there's plenty of good budget gaming laptops that should suffice for a lower budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Yep - though the plastic body is surprisingly strong. And it has the #1 thing for an accountant...a numeric keypad.

Brilliant screen and still...$1,900 at costco and only 3 lb. Not my main machine (no dock) but as my travelling machine, together with a portable 15.6" monitor....excellent!
https://www.amazon.ca/HP-Pavilion-17-Inch-i5-9300H-17-cd0010nr/dp/B07SH3KS4K/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3KZJM6XTGURUT&keywords=HP+gaming+l aptop+17"&qid=1647544663&sprefix=hp+gaming+laptop+ 17+%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-5

I got this gaming laptop last year for work for like $1,100 and a few of the 15" ones to replace an aging fleet of laptops and desktops for $900 each last summer and I consider these laptops amazing, excellent and overpowered for almost all work processes. They're typically always docked at work and only occasionally do we need the laptop function for on site audits, conferences/school/exam taking and work from home. I also added a few ASUS TUF, Acer Nitro and MSI Modern laptops that I found great deals on to the work fleet and they've met and surpassed expectations.

What kind of things are you guys doing that need $1.5K+ laptops? At those price points, my dream work machines are the Lenovo X/T/P series rather than gaming laptops.

I guess a major caveat is that I and my colleagues do not game on work computers.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote