View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 10:50 PM   #20
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
None of my cars have any autonomous driving features, but I'm interested in how far this tech has come. My wife in particular would love to have stop-and-go autonomous driving for her commute, and I have to admit, the thought of that feature is very appealing as I traverse the city from the good end of town to Winsport three times a week in the winter, two of those drives being in rush hour.

FWIW, I love to drive and would still have a 'driver's car' in my fleet. Like most people, though, crawling along in bumper to bumper is hardly a great driving experience and if we could virtually eliminate the frustration of that from our lives that would be awesome.

I hear great things about Kia/Hyundai. The Mercedes system seems good, too. Tesla as well. From what I know, it seems Kia/Hyundai and Tesla are the best.

Anybody have any experience with any of these systems? Do you use it all the time, or is it meh?
When it comes to adaptive cruise you will want a system that uses the both camera and radar systems. Adaptive cruise combined with lane keep assist make long drives quite relaxing and stress free. Lane keep assist is a good feature too when conditions permit (lines painted, road plowed etc...). There is also a minimum speed requirement in order to activate this system, which I belive is 60 km/h in most vehicles. Each brand has their own intricacies with this system, the best so far in my opinion is in the Lincolns which actually have lane centring. This keeps you right in the middle of the lane at all times vs many other systems that allow you to nearly drift out of your lane before over correcting you. You will find that adaptive cruise and forward collision alert are throu out most brands at nearly entry level models now vs 5 years ago when these safety features barely existed in North American brands.

360 cameras good for tight spaces, at low speeds. The systems only function up to a speed of 8- 12km/h, the birds eye view comes from the images of 4 cameras and those image s get patched together to give the overhead picture. Good feature if you like getting right between the parking lines or need to cram both vehicles in the garage due to hail storm coming.

Self parking is a cool feature but by the time most people have mastered to use of these systems, they would've been further ahead by simply learning to park on their own. Self parking is not a perfected technology yet.

Auto dimming headlights are a huge benefit if you're do a lot of hi way driving, one of the most convenient options that exists.

What if find I use the most on a day to day basis is voice pass through This feature exists in so many vehicles and is not really that new, yet most owners don't know they have it or have never been shown how to use it. As an apple user turning your car into Siri can be extremely helpful and save you from distracted driving fines.

As I said above autonomous features which barely existed 5 years ago or were reserved only for luxury brands or top trim levels are now prevalent throughout all brands at near entry level trims. There is increasing demand for these features, the technology is cheaper, and helps you save on insurance premiums for most companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Anecdotal, but here’s a story about the Hyundai Palisade’s adaptive cruise system.

If you put a teetering two story butter cream wedding cake in your nervous bride-to-be’s lap, you can drive from Glamorgan to Azuridge entirely under the control of the computer system, without touching pedals, and the cake will arrive untipped.

I work for Hyundai, so take it for what it’s worth. PM me for pictures of the cake, anyone in need of high quality baked goods would do well to call on Sweets by Melissa.

Further to that point, anyone interested in driving a Palisade, or any Hyundai, should feel free to PM as well.

Adaptive cruise control is the safest thing that has ever been put into cars. Bar none. “Meh” is not an adjective I’d use to describe it in the least.
Well there has to at 20 safety features and technology advances over the years that make your car safer then adaptive cruise. Electronic power steering, traction control, backup camera, advance roll over airbags, automatic braking, Bluetooth, to name just a few. There are also cases where it can prove not so beneficial; When there has been a significant speed limit decrease, from say 100 down to 70, down to 50 and you change lanes into one with clear sailing. If your not on top of things, you will accelerate right up to 100 in the 50 zone. Another case is where a young driver has learned to drive using adaptive cruise in moms SUV and then gets a car of their own that does not have the option and BAMMMMM rear end someone on the hi way. First hand experience with both of these...

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 08-12-2020 at 10:57 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post: