View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 07:51 PM   #21
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am definitely spending a lot more on food and drink; I spent $6,000 last year, and this year I'm on pace to spend $7,440. A 24% increase.

Property tax is up about 7% (~$4,400/yr). I've spent about 30% more on gasoline so far; a combination of prices being about 6% higher and simply driving more. (A lot of that is for work though, which I'm reimbursed for.)

I think where I save a lot of money—or rather, just don't spend as much in the first place as many others—is driving the same beater car I've had for 15 years. I haven't had a new car payment since 2014. I'm also lucky to still get free downtown parking from my employer, a 'perk' since Covid because I'm one of only a few who're consistently in the office every single day. I'm otherwise only spending about $600/yr on gas for my commute. (That said the car definitely needs some work on the suspension; I'm sure I need all new shocks and a couple ball joints...)

I look at the spending habits of family, friends and acquaintances and I think a lot of the blame for their costs seemingly spiralling out of control has been a lack of discretion, and having to have the 'newest' and 'best' of many consumer goods. They pay for three or four TV streaming services, and watch a small fraction of it. They pay exorbitant amounts of money on their cell phones because they're always getting a new 'flagship' phone every couple years and wrapping that cost up in their monthly bills. Some of the ladies spend a ton of money on clothes, shoes and cosmetics; the lads spend a lot on golf, hockey and motorized 'toys'.

All of this said I have been reviewing my spending at a high level—I use my bank's app—and amazingly my overall spend hasn't gone up at all. The difference so far is a lack of discretionary spending on travelling. I've barely noticed at the end of the day. I realize that's a privileged position to be in.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote