View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #908
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Forget ray tracing, 60fps, controllers, etc, the biggest reason to get a PS5 is for load times (or lack thereof). I was impressed with how fast Spider-Man started up in-game from a dead stop, but I was blown away the first time I tried fast travel. I went into the map, chose a fast travel spot and went to pickup my phone out of habit. Before I could even unlock it I was already playing again, there was zero downtime. We haven't had seemless gameplay like this since the end of the cartridge era, the death of the load screen will be seen as the greatest achievement of this generation of consoles IMO. After playing Spider-Man for so long, going back to a PS4 game that wasn't optimized for the new SSD was jarring. I would end up buying remasters of my favorite PS4 titles just to have the fast load feature, regardless of any graphical improvement
Not just the PS5, the XSX has very fast load times as well. Pair that with quick resume and you are playing in seconds.

So far games on both consoles only load 1-3 seconds faster on the PS5 than the XSX which is interesting considering the PS5 is twice the speed of the XSX. I also assume that developers are still learning to get everything they can out of the SSD architectures on both consoles, so we should see more improvement over the consoles lifetime.

Last edited by Since1984; 11-23-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote